Types of Sedation
- Nitrous oxide: This is a gas that, when released, allows you to relax during dental procedures. It may not knock you completely out, and you will be able to drive home after having it administered.
- Oral sedation: This is medication given orally that helps patients relax when they must get dental treatment. They are given to patients about an hour before the appointment, so that you can be awake but relaxed. These medications may cause drowsiness, so be careful when operating machinery or driving.
- IV sedation: Intravenous sedation can be used to put your body into various stages of relaxation and consciousness. It is also known as general anesthesia, and it will put you in a deep sleep or in a less conscious state of awareness. This allows you to get procedures performed while relaxed, making the experience safer and less stressful. You will not be able to drive after IV sedation depending on how your sedative was administered.
While many patients with anxiety about the dentist prefer to choose general anesthesia, this could also cause more side effects than other sedation methods. Nitrous oxide is highly effective at reducing anxiety, so you may want to consider this before opting for IV sedation. At NovaCare Dental our sedation dentist in Langley ensures that are given the right anesthesia and treated well.
Why is Sedation Dentistry Necessary?
Patients are not always fond of visiting the dentist, making it an uncomfortable experience. Other factors that influence the need for sedation dentistry include:
- Phobias about dental procedures
- Past trauma or bad experiences with dentists
- Lack of effective local anesthesia
- Anxiety disorders
If you have any of these problems, speak with a local NovaCare Dental professional in Langley for your options when it comes to getting dental procedures performed on your teeth. Book an appointment with our sedation dentist near you in Langley or in the surrounding locations of Fraser Hwy, 56 Ave, 208 St, Murrayville, Willowbrook, North East Gordon, Milner, South East Gordon Estate, and Brookswood.